Skip to main content

Coconuts in West Nile

Coconuts – those ‘all-purpose’ tropical fruits - are plenty in most parts of my home region, West Nile. From the steamed tubers to the creamy white flesh in the brown shell, I've sampled everything coconuts have to offer. We used to sip the juice at the beaches of Mombasa, Kenya (a refreshing tropical drink, they call it); I use coconut – grated, milk, cream and oil - in various curry and rice recipes. I use coconut hair oil, body lotion, etc… Basically, the coconut and I are best friends…

The tree...

I should have zoomed the fruits but there they are, high up!

Tubers as snacks


I stole this picture from Here (but the owner doesn’t mind, I’m sure of that). Taken on the Arua-Moyo Road at a place called Lefori where the coconut tubers, harvested just after shoot germination and steamed before eating, is a seasonal delicacy.

The ripe coconut


The shells turn brown after drying (we usually leave it in the furious heat of West Nile for days to dry). Splitting the hard shell into two halves isn't an easy task. I've always considered it someone else’s job. I’m more interested in the interior - the milky flesh from which you can stock your kitchen with grated coconut, coconut milk and cream.



Coconut shells are available in supermarkets in case you want to make your own milk or cream. If you are not the DIY kind of person, you can buy canned coconut milk from supermarkets. 

Cracked brown shell from Here. The white flesh can make ...

Grated coconut (Made this for my kitchen)

 

Coconut milk (No, I didn't make this, as you can see)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

China Series: Turning Desert Into Oasis

I recently travelled to China and toured a number of places. What fascinated me, among other things, was a province that found innovative solutions to turn its fortunes around, thanks to irrigation and tree planting in the desert area...Ningxia Province in Daily Monitor

For a province that has vast tracts of desert land and is ranked third in development among China’s five autonomous provinces, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, located in northwest China, has registered remarkable progress. Statistics from China’s premier website www.china.org.cn indicate that Ningxia is the province with the third smallest GDP in China, with its neighbours, Inner Mongolia and Shaanxi, classified as the strongest emerging provincial economies in that country. And yet for a casual Ugandan visitor, Ningxia’s capital, Yinchuan, would be one of the most developed and well planned metropolises with very good road network- compared to Kampala, of course.


 As a largely arid region, Ningxia’s transf…

Wrapped In a Year

I'm big on gifts. I must confess I receive quite a lot - much more than I give (and I can be quite generous, by-the-way). Last year, I had a lot more reason to look forward to the Christmas season; to give, to receive and to make merry! But not all stories have a good ending. I look forward to retelling this otherwise wonderful story sooner than later.

And look how some kind souls cheered up a holiday that would have been dreadful. You see, that is why I quit worrying and always speak deeply into my spirit.... I believe in the sufficiency of God's abundant grace and deeply trust in the perfection of His will..

I know this year will be wrapped up good. Bless those who wrapped a not-so-good 2013 in  beautiful baskets (more about how handy those baskets can be in house decor later).










Good Old Nairobi

Some time in July, I made a one-week trip to my old city- good-old Nairobi. The weather was harsh; too harsh I can’t even begin to describe the socks, camisoles, jackets, sweaters and scarves I wrapped myself in before getting under the light duvet Meridian Hotel had to offer.  

Going to Nairobi is almost, always a pleasant experience, even if I’m going for one of those office-related trips where the tight schedule makes it impossible to catch up with friends and family! I attended part of my education in Kenya; the other part in Uganda and my formative years in Sudan. Each of these countries, I proudly call home.  
Nairobi, however, holds special memories because university experience is probably one of the best years - with no high school-type rules (well, minimum rules).  In the United States International University (USIU) where I spent four fantastic years (and the same Meridian Hotel used to be our school pick-up point BTW), we would grumble about certain regulations. One such rul…