Skip to main content

The Power of Love



It’s Friday! Cliché, yes but it happens to be my best day of the week – for as long as I’m with my present employer. It is only on Fridays that I have the luxury to wake up after 8am, prepare African tea (with generous sprinkling of Chai masala) and head to work mid-morning. Today was another interesting morning. You see, I’ve been reading this book given to me by my Big Sister, Betty. The woman probably knows all powerful and inspirational books out there (except the ones still being written, or yet to be written) but she has no idea what impact the three books she’s given me have had in my life!

Right now I’m reading the last chapter of a book many critics were not enthusiastic about. One said the book is far too repetitive and boring. Another said everything in there exists only in the writers mind. Apart from the wonderful artwork that makes turning every page such joy, The Power by Rhonda Byrne is one book that has made me see the world differently - by appreciating the beauty that surrounds me instead of seeing the negative side of every situation.

Rhonda Byrne also authored The Secret. Both books focus on the importance of mental preparation to achieve our dream lives. But as another reviewer rightly pointed out, the book ignores one crucial aspect - hard work. Yes, you can’t imagine everything you want and achieve it just like that! You have to work, work, and work…
But the most important lesson therein is the POWER OF LOVE!  


Just like beers make football games more exciting, tea makes reading more enjoyable.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for inspiring us on this Maggie! Betty recommended this book to me last month and I can't wait to start reading it. I am still finishing "The Monk who Sold His Ferrari"-another life-changing one recommended by her.

Christine Vuciri.
You are welcome...That Ferrari book is fantastic, enjoy!
Anonymous said…
That sounds interesting! I think the power of love minced with hard work, work and work could be rewarding. I tried a few things that failed misserably and this experience is making me negate so many nice sounding ideas but with your review in mind, am now ready to re-energise, work, work, work ... Thanks Maggie.

Joan

Popular posts from this blog

China Series: Turning Desert Into Oasis

I recently travelled to China and toured a number of places. What fascinated me, among other things, was a province that found innovative solutions to turn its fortunes around, thanks to irrigation and tree planting in the desert area...Ningxia Province in Daily Monitor

For a province that has vast tracts of desert land and is ranked third in development among China’s five autonomous provinces, Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region, located in northwest China, has registered remarkable progress. Statistics from China’s premier website www.china.org.cn indicate that Ningxia is the province with the third smallest GDP in China, with its neighbours, Inner Mongolia and Shaanxi, classified as the strongest emerging provincial economies in that country. And yet for a casual Ugandan visitor, Ningxia’s capital, Yinchuan, would be one of the most developed and well planned metropolises with very good road network- compared to Kampala, of course.


 As a largely arid region, Ningxia’s transf…

Good Old Nairobi

Some time in July, I made a one-week trip to my old city- good-old Nairobi. The weather was harsh; too harsh I can’t even begin to describe the socks, camisoles, jackets, sweaters and scarves I wrapped myself in before getting under the light duvet Meridian Hotel had to offer.  

Going to Nairobi is almost, always a pleasant experience, even if I’m going for one of those office-related trips where the tight schedule makes it impossible to catch up with friends and family! I attended part of my education in Kenya; the other part in Uganda and my formative years in Sudan. Each of these countries, I proudly call home.  
Nairobi, however, holds special memories because university experience is probably one of the best years - with no high school-type rules (well, minimum rules).  In the United States International University (USIU) where I spent four fantastic years (and the same Meridian Hotel used to be our school pick-up point BTW), we would grumble about certain regulations. One such rul…

Wrapped In a Year

I'm big on gifts. I must confess I receive quite a lot - much more than I give (and I can be quite generous, by-the-way). Last year, I had a lot more reason to look forward to the Christmas season; to give, to receive and to make merry! But not all stories have a good ending. I look forward to retelling this otherwise wonderful story sooner than later.

And look how some kind souls cheered up a holiday that would have been dreadful. You see, that is why I quit worrying and always speak deeply into my spirit.... I believe in the sufficiency of God's abundant grace and deeply trust in the perfection of His will..

I know this year will be wrapped up good. Bless those who wrapped a not-so-good 2013 in  beautiful baskets (more about how handy those baskets can be in house decor later).